Monday, April 28, 2014

Module 4 - The Khan Academy



     The app that I chose for my final technology in education blog post is the "Khan Academy".  Overall, this may have been my favorite of all the apps that I researched over the last few months. The Khan Academy allows users to learn almost any topic for free.  I was able to use this app on both my computer and my IPhone.

     When I began using this app, the first thing I did was set up my personalized account and profile. You can add a username, biographical information, as well as a picture.  Your profile will also track your progress and "badges" as you advance through the different types of learning activities. It will also keep track of your recent activities and discussions with other users about education or the various topics. After you have completed your profile, you can begin your journey by opening up your "Learning Dashboard". This will give the user their first challenge (Mine was Math).  After completing the Math pretest, it opened up more math topics for me to work on.  The Khan Academy is set up so that the topics are released to the user in an order of increasing difficulty. The Khan Academy not only offers a variety of topics in Math, but also in Science, Economics, Humanities, Computing, Test Prep, and Partner Work.  This app breaks down subjects into grade levels for 1st - 8th grade and then divides subjects into topics for the more advance types of topics (For example, Math is broken into algebra, geometry, trigonometry, etc).

  
     I think the section for Test Prep is particularly useful for students. It has special sections for the SAT, the MCAT, and the GMAT, along with a few others. Many students who have to take these stressful exams, would be happy to have the easily accessible content to assist them in their test preparation.

    I would recommend the Khan Academy for both teachers and students.  Teachers can use the app as a fun way to engage students in certain topics.  I feel like students would enjoy being able to track their progress and earn badges for their learning achievements.  Students of all ages and grades levels can benefit from using the Khan Academy.  It not only covers a wide variety of topics, but it also does an effective job and making sure students gain mastery in subject areas.  The whole progress tracking feature of the app is designed around topic and subject mastery. Many students would find the Khan Academy to be a great supplemental tool to their textbooks and other learning materials for almost any course.


For more information visit: The Khan Academy



No comments:

Post a Comment